Sunday, January 20, 2013

Another local standout commits and one decommits

Fayette Academy's all around athlete, Marcus Miller, has committed to Southern Illinois. Here is the story from our good friend John Varlas at the Commercial Appeal. You can follow him on Twitter @johnvarlas
 

Marcus Miller made plays all over the field during his Fayette Academy football career. Now that it's over, he's making a little history at the school too.

Miller, a 6-0, 171-pounder who excelled at running back, defensive back and on kick returns for the Vikings, has verbally committed to Southern Illinois. When he makes it official on national signing day Feb. 6, he'll become the first Fayette Academy player to sign with a Division 1 school, FBS or FCS.

"That's the camp (last summer) where I ran my 4.37 (40-yard dash)," said Miller. "I visited there Jan. 11, 12 and 13 and they offered me the full ride I wanted so I decided to go ahead and commit."

The Salukis were the biggest program recruiting Miller, who also received strong interest from Delta State, Bethel, Carson-Newman and Springfield College in Massachusetts. Miller says Southern Illinois is expecting him to hit the ground running.

"They want me to get up to 185 by the time I start school on June 10," he said. "I'm up every morning at 6 working out with (assistant) coach (Nick) Markle. They want me to strive to be a safety and I've got a spot on special teams."

Miller, an all-metro selection, ran for 1,426 yards last season, averaging 9.0 yards per carry, and scored 19 touchdowns. He also had 61 tackles and averaged 32.5 yards on eight kickoff returns.

Those numbers helped the Vikings finish 9-3 under first-year coach Vic Shivers after going 3-7 in 2011.

"I think bringing in coach Shivers was one of the best decisions in Fayette Academy history," Miller said. "You can't do anything but achieve when you play for him and I hope they do well next year."

John Martin of the Commercial Appeal is reporting that St. Benedict standout RB Jordan Wilkins has decommitted from Auburn. Follow John on Twitter @JohnMartinCA

No comments:

Post a Comment